+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New here and dual (?) Sky LNB

Default New here and dual (?) Sky LNB

Hi all, I just signed up a few minutes ago and I have a very strong interest in all things satellite TV from around the world.

I do apologize if I have missed the relevant "introductions" thread or something similar.

I am from Cape Town in South Africa, but enjoy learning about satellite systems used in other countries, especially the South-West Pacific/Oceania region.

So, I was hunting around for some dish pictures, and came across a SKY dish system, with what looks like a dual LNB system (?) that one would use to receive two satellites:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10-sharp-skytv-lnb.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	473

I know it's probably a silly question as I don't reside in NZ, but I was always under the impression SKY NZ comes from 160E only? Does this dish receive channels from another satellite too? Is it part of the SKY NZ system or does one add another set-top box?

Was very curious when I saw this.

That is a four degree lnb optimised for the optus skew
    Once upon a time when sky nz and foxtel oz were both owned by mr murdoch idea was to have some ch via D3 and rest via D1

Sky NZ use to get TV from both Optus D1 and Optus C1/D3. Many years ago.
    These LNB's switch from one side to the other by turning on the 22kHz tone.
    Optus D3 still transmits a signal called something like SkyNZ test, which I think is a signal use by Sky to find out how many users still have these twin LNB's.
    This would be useful in a dead satellite moment if Optus D1 died.

When I first started with sats I brought a 22kHz tone switch to switch from D1 to D3.
    This did not work as I had two Sky NZ dishes with these twin LNB's and when I switched from D1 to D3 I also turned on the 22kHz tone that set the D2 dish to use the second half of the LNB.
    This was solve after 4 weeks when I brought a DiSEqC switch and the 22kHz tone was not used.

Owen

Ah, thanks very much guys!

I did not know that SKY used 156E as well. Probably another silly question, but I'm not too familiar with these setups - so, at which position in the Clarke belt exactly does the dish get pointed at? Does it point at 160, 156 or somewhere in between?

Lnb has 2 "throats" 1 has a big ridge so use the other 1
    That is the main lnb with 22 khz switching to the other one
    Most have 4 out with inbuilt multiswitch
    Also prone to heatstroke
    Dont think it will like intel 17@20

Ah OK. Yeah, don't think there is much on IS-17 that we don't get on IS-20 anyway. Just MultiChoice subs packages on there.

do you ever watch Botswana TV?

Yeah, used to watch it now and then years ago on the old PAS 7 satellite, but haven't tuned into it in a long time since then.

+ Reply to Thread