+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freesat V7HD

Default Freesat V7HD

Just a few notes on the V7HD

The big problem I have had with these units, the newer ones that I got in Feb 2016, is that the LNB power over current protection is too sensitive.
    With cascade switching when the first 8 port switch is set and powers on the next switch and LNB the power from the V7 drops,
    resetting the first switch to port 1.
    You can see the trace rising just after the 22kHz tone burst in this pic cut from a video of my old school oscilloscope.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LNBspike.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	437

I found I could fix this by adding a signal splitter at the LNB connection of the unit.
    The splitter has an inductor in series that limits the current surge.

My discussions with Freesat failed. they sent nonsense reply's and set up a test with the splitter in circuit saying it works,
    when the test I showed them was with no splitter.

I concluded that they didn't want to acknowledge the fault.
    This fault was not in the very first unit that I was the first to buy from them via Aliexpress last year.
    This is a new fault with the RF input unit modules.
    Being a fault with the RF modules the same fault will happen in other brand units that use the same RF module.
    I saw some of this with my new Amiko-A3, dropping back to port 1.
    Freesat have been very good at fixing bugs, but this is a hardware fault.

This fault, most time, does not appear with a single 4 port switch system.

The big problem aside the V7HD does powervu on all the sats I see from codes already in the unit.
    The EPG drops out a lot. Power off and on to get NZ EPG after surfing other channels.
    Only 8 Faverates can be added with 7 digits only.
    The V7 gets 9Gem Perth and 9 Melbourne off the 12397 v 20106 TP using a 1200mm dish.

Another problem I have had is the units failed after deleting sats from the sats list.
    My early V7 kept reporting "Out of Space" with 3500 tv and 1500 radio channels.
    I deleted a sat from the sat list and it died. No recovery works.
    The same thing append to my V7 Combo.
    I think this is the memory failing after I have used it a LOT.
    20+ scans a day, adding and deleting sats, TP's and channels for testing etc has worn the memory out.

I brought a box of 10 direct from Freesat.

Don't use Telegraphic transfer to pay them.
    Westpac sent the money but Wells Fargo bank clipped the ticket in the USA for $US30.
    Westpac admits they don't know if this will happen or how much if it does.
    Westpac refunded the fee and I had to send more money to cover the short fall via Pay pal.
    TT's don't work and can never work because of this. Don't use them. Use Paypal.

The remote that comes with the V7 has the Sat button and the recall at the bottom of the remote, hard to get to.
    I use a remote off the Skybox F5s for the V7.
    Other remotes are available, see my remote review.

Sometime I wonder if all these boxes all come out of the same factory, Freesat, Openbox ranges, Skybox ranges, that Hamburger Box that looks like the Skybox A1, the V8 range of boxes and others.
    Last edited by Blackman; 12-09-2016 at 11:43 AM.

well skybox and openbox are virtually identical while the v7 is much too small and light
    sky-open-box f3,f5,f6,open s10 etc all much the same fairly small size but heavy enough not to be dragged off a shelf by its leads

Upgraded one of my V7 s yesterday to new software. Result, IS19 now no cnn etc at3829H but OK for NBC 3900H (Director/Tan). Can not roll back to last software. Says must use latest. Tried another V7 with older software. cnn fine. ???
    Cheers Maca Far North.

Super Moderator

It might be the new firmware doesnt have the right numbers. I think those ones changed recently

I'm in the process at the moment of replacing 4 of my older Mpeg 2 boxes being DM 7000's and Nokia 9200. I'm buying from ebay 3 Openbox V8s and one hard to get Skybox A1. The V8s come in handy as they will do what I want them to do plus having a scart socket on the rear they will match my existing setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    Upgraded one of my V7 s yesterday to new software. Result, IS19 now no cnn etc at3829H but OK for NBC 3900H (Director/Tan). Can not roll back to last software. Says must use latest. Tried another V7 with older software. cnn fine. ???
    Cheers Maca Far North.
    Yes the newer software needs the codes in via USB softcam.key file for that channel.

Type two lines into note pad like this; The "00" and "01" are the idx, part one and part two.
    P 0000 00 0123456789abcd;0000:00000:00000:V;
    P 0000 01 0123456789abcd;0000:00000:00000:V;

P 0000 00 (the code for the channel);Provider number (4 digits (1660)):Freq (5 digits):SR (5 digits):H or V ;

Note the use of ":" and ";" semi and full colons.

Then save it as "softcam.key" and upload it via the color button option in the conditional menu.
    You may want to add all the other code you have into the file too.

If you do a "Export softcam key" you will see the codes the V7 has found in the file on the usb.
    Repeated export and import of the files adds the found codes again and again so that you have many double ups in the list.
    Be tidy.

Check out this post also
    http://www.freesat.cn/forum/viewtopi...ded8d4ca75669f

Owen

Thanks Owen will try later and post results.

All good now at 3829H but sometimes 3900H will crash the older V7 box when on HD channel?

+ Reply to Thread