+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Faulty 2x4 Switches Gecen MS-2401

Default Faulty 2x4 Switches Gecen MS-2401

Hi All

I brought 8 two port LNB's with some other switches off Trademe.

The two port LNB's are dedicated H and V outputs, so you need a 2x4 switch to use them.
    Eight 2x4 switches were supplied with the LNB's.

I found that frequencies were overlapped and that some H freq's and some V freq's did not come through.
    By rotating the LNB 90 degrees I could get some freq's to work and others would drop out.
    I concluded that the LNB was at fault as testing with no 2x4 switch and just one cable the same freq's were dropped out.

It seams I was wrong. The fault is with the 2x4 switches.
    When testing both inputs are powered on regardless of 18 or 13 volts.
    I checked with another 2x2 switch I had, a Satmax brand, and it only powers on the input related to the voltage, H and V for 18v and 13v.

I believe that use of these faulty switches has killed the two port LNB's by linking the two LNB outputs together and
    burning out the frequencies that over lapped.
    I have had the same thing happen to Sky dish Sharp LNBs when a shorted DiSEqC switch port had Optus D1 and D2 LNB's connected together.

The switches in question are "Gecen MS-2401"
    I have another MS-2401 switch I brought off Trademe from another trader that is identical but is missing the Gecen logo.
    It also is faulty.

Has anyone else had problems with this switch?
    If you have one check it with just the STB and a satellite finder only.
    I would recommend that you do not use this "MS-2401" switch without testing it first for one port powered on at a time.

Owen

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6359.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	426

Confirmed!

I set up one of the two port LNB's that I had not use with a 2x4 switch and it works good with the good Satmax 2x2 switch.

So YES. The Gecen MS-2401 2x4 switch has killed the two port LNB's.

DON"T Use these switches.

Owen

3 dead LNB's and 9 switches to go in the bin.

I found a 2x3 switch, a Gecen MS-2301.

Testing with this shows that it and the 2x4 switches power on both ports at 13v if 13 volts comes in
    and powers the H port to 18v and the V port to 13v if 18v comes in.

The problem I have had is with a LNB connected to only the H port and with 13v input I still get the signals from the H port and can watch the picture.
    This should not happen. The signals from the V port are coming through as well and the frequencies that overlap from V and H don't work.
    In the end the LNB burns out those frequencies.

The LNB's I have are spec'd as working from 13 to 18v on each separate V or H port.
    I have one working on Intelsat 19C with the Satmax 2x2 switch just fine.

The Satmax 2x2 switch only powers on a port when that voltage comes in, the other port is un-powered.

Something is not right with this combo of LNB and switch, and I'm left with blaming the switch.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Owen
    Christchurch
    Last edited by Feralkiwi; 16-05-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

all that happens with the switches is a 12v reg 78D12 d for low volt drop
    13v input will have 12-13v on both inputs
    18v input will have 12v on V and 18v on H
    UNLIKELY TO HAVE KILLED THE LNB S AS THOSE ONES WILL WORK ON H AND V INDEPENDENTLY AS LONG AS THEY GET ABOVE 11V TO DRIVE THE 8V INTERNAL REGULATOR

start putting all your sat thru your 16 x 8 switch instead of little switches which will cause problems when you try to consolidate your system
    Last edited by wiilliiss; 17-05-2016 at 02:43 AM.

Yes I have been scratching my head thinking of how to get all my dishes onto the 16 port switch.
    The problem has been that the dishes are scattered into 4 areas and that the 16 port switch does not output 18v on the H ports.

As for the killed LNB's, they are now faulty and will not tune to some frequencies with out any switch and only one port connected..
    And still I should not get a signal from the H port of a switch when the input has 13 from the receiver.
    That is not how those switches should work.
    In theory I can connect two different sats through that 2x4 switch.
    If I connected Optus D1 to H port and D2 to V Port,
    the frequencies 12644 and 12734 would not work due to overlap and those frequencies in those LNB's would burn out.
    I have LNB's with those frequencies burnt out from a faulty switch.

I have a 5x9 switch I will use for the shared setup I have at the moment.
    I had a full on southerly last night that pushed the dishes around and made viewing and sleep difficult.
    One test dish down on its face, again, and two 3m dishes to nudge a little.
    Found the first duck egg on the lawn today. 21 weeks old and starting to lay.

Owen

you will still get a h signal on 13v its called polarity,depends how big the signal is
    as the 16x8 doesnt do 18v doesnt matter with the dual out c lnb or ocs lnb s
    and lnb s do not burn out due to freq overlap

the only snag of 14v only with ku is to have a typical dish of ,in your case d2,c1,d1,intel 19 k times 2, 1 dish for H and the other identical 4 sat dish with all the lnb at right angles for V
    Last edited by wiilliiss; 18-05-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Quote;
    "you will still get a h signal on 13v its called polarity,depends how big the signal is"
    The point is that the switch still connects to signal from the V input when there is 18v on the receiver input with no connection to the H input
    and to the H input when there is 13v on the receiver input.
    This is a switch fault, regardless of the LNB.

Re Ku LNB at right angles, here in Chch I can buy twin output LNBs with separate V and H for $25 off Trademe.
    The bigger problem is my stock of Uni LNB's that need 22kHz.
    I was going to try some signal splitters that have power pass on the UHF side as well for power insert and 22kHz insert too.
    I will need a blocking diode to stop the 18v back feeding into the 9x16 switch.
    Maybe I can cut out the diodes in the signal splitters sat side.

you could use 1 single uni on intel 18k as all are between 10700-11700 H
    that freq range no 22khz needed just skewed at right angles as all are H

+ Reply to Thread