PDA

View Full Version : Switch off signals end of TV era

Apsattv
02-10-2012, 06:23 AM
From http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/news/switch-off-signals-end-of-tv-era/1564688/

ALL OFF: Technician David Walker about to flick the switch at the Hawke's Bay TV4 analogue transmitter which had long served Hastings and Napier. SUPPLIED PHOTO

In the course of his work as a communications technician, Hastings man David Walker has been up to the Mt Threave TV4 transmitter site from time to time to carry out maintenance work.

And in the course of that work he has flicked a few switches here and there.

Yesterday, at the prescribed time of 2am, he flicked one switch to the "off" position for the last time.

It was the switch that powered the transmission of analogue television signals across Napier and Hastings.

"It took less than a second to shut it down ... it was quite literally the flick of a switch," Mr Walker said afterwards.

"It all went perfectly."

The TV4 signals were shut down first, almost instantly followed by TV3, TV1 and TV2.

While the nearby Mt Erin transmitter was able to be electronically shut down from Wellington, the Mt Threave transmitter (between Mt Erin and Pakipaki) needed the personal touch.

It was his familiarity with the site and its communications systems that led to Mr Walker effectively staking his place in television transmissions history, with television transmissions - first beginning 50 years ago.

"It is significant because it is a change which affected a lot of viewers. They had to make the change to continue to get television."

Having seen changes in technology involving transmission and reception through the years, Walker said the move to digital was "a good thing".

The switchover went without a hitch, and while it took less than a second to shut it down, Mr Walker spent about two hours at the site dismantling some of the equipment.

"I feel quite chuffed to be part of our local Hawke's Bay electronics history and would like to thank the guys that first brought us analogue television way back in 1962 - but now it's the turn of the new digital transmissions for an improved technical result."

While some communications connections on site will stay, much of the equipment was being removed.

"It is pretty well obsolete."

It was being packed up and sent to Auckland where it was likely to be recycled.

Hawke's Bay and the West Coast are the first two regions to make the switch, and Going Digital general manager Greg Harford was in the Bay last week checking out the final stages.

As he and his team had predicted, there was a "last minute" rush by people to pick up Freeview top boxes so they could continue to watch pictures, rather than the static that descended at 2am.

Sustainability Hawke's Bay's Erin Simpson said there had also been a surge over the past fortnight in people discarding their older-model television sets.

On Saturday, the day before the switch, he said there were enough televisions dropped off at the environment centre depot in Russell St "to fill a couple of trailers".

Sets could be dropped there for a $10 charge. They would be packed aboard pallets and shipped to depots in Auckland and Wellington where they would be dismantled, with parts recycled or properly disposed off.

Mr Simpson said he had come across some people who believed older sets would not work in the digital age.

"They didn't realise all they needed was a top box."

Not that appliance stores were complaining, one salesperson spoken to describing the last week as "pretty full on" for new flat-screen digitally equipped televisions.

Going Digital research showed about 96 per cent of Bay households had made the switch.

wiilliiss
02-10-2012, 11:24 PM
that article made no mention of tvhb either starting on digital or ch 51 closing even though both on same site

kiwisteve
04-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I can ask David Walker , if you like , If he knows anything about the regional

but their web indicates the following

Television Hawke's Bay is pleased to announce our launch on Digital Television.
You can find us on Freeview|HD Channel 48.
We understand that some televisions and set top boxes are having difficulty receiving our broadcast - this is causing TVHB to appear on Channel 800. TVHB is working with Freeview, our transmission equipment manufacturers and suppliers to find a solution, and this will be implemented as soon as one is found.
Thank you to our viewers for their understanding, patience and continued support.

satboy
04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
I assume the problem has to do with that TVNZ has not updated the DVB SI data for the channel's name, event scheduling and LCN. I would bet the channel is showing up as something like "Service 800" or "Service <insert _sid>" or "Channel 800" or "Channel <insert _sid>"

PS, the channel isn't even on the freeview web site!

kiwisteve
04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I would not expect it to be on Freeview Web site , apparently they have their own transmitter on ch27
just like Mainland TV in Nelson have their own UHF Multiplex

satboy
04-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Do regional non-profit broadcasters still get "gifted" frequencies to operate on for digital? Also if they are doing their own thing and just doing a normal EIT, then certain certified Freeview receivers that use just the crappy MHEG guide will not display any thing for a EIT only broadcast. Also it then sounds like TVHB equipment doesn't support the NorDig LCN format that Freeview uses for setting virtual channel numbers.

kiwisteve
04-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't think its actually gifted as such but if they had an analogue channel they should be able to get a digital one in exchange .
Non Profit / Charitables I believe , can apply for a one off grant from NZ On Air as start up helper .

wiilliiss
04-10-2012, 11:57 PM
when everything is right channel shows as television hawkes bay and listed as 48

also channel 51 television hawkes bay only broadcast northwards in analogue days now doing hawkes bay and central hawkes bay which usually means more expensive licence fees
what tv hb forget is that most of waipawa and takapau/ onga tiko and parts of waipukurau get a better signal from wharite

ps doesnt dave walker look old

wiilliiss
05-10-2012, 12:21 AM
what will tararua tv go digital on? ch 27? so if you live inbetween 2 ch 27 s a massive arguement between the 2? just like in the tv 4 ch11 days as even with a large handy steel shed just couldnt quite seperate the 2 signals cleanly then marrying up ch 6.8.10 ,,,too hard and built a 11-1 converter so ended up with 6.8.10.1

kiwisteve
05-10-2012, 07:47 AM
the digitals can co exist easily Wharite Egmont and KauKau are all on same freqs and I receive the whole lot here
antenna placement is sufficient and no apparent issues . There was some initial talk that Hawke's Bay regional may also join the Tararua regional mux
for increased coverage . I guess it comes down to $$ in the end

satboy
05-10-2012, 10:01 AM
This talk of the channel numbers that are set via a non-standard extension to the DVB format brings up the question as to the point of even using such an extension. The only purpose is to either hide channels or control the viewer's channel ordering making it a form of digital dictatorship on certified receivers. The ATSC standard uses "Virtual Channels" to map SID to the more familiar frequency numbering scheme the US uses for VHF/UHF.

In summary channel numbering is only really of use to pay tv operators who have their own locked down boxes.

wiilliiss
06-10-2012, 12:01 AM
in your case wharite,mt egmont and kaukau are at fairly widw angles and different polarities, here 1 is directly behind the other if 1 h and 1v no problem

also would be a good idea for mt threave to carry tararua and rotrua services as well as destinations not too far away and tararua carry tv hb and any wellington and/or taranaki tv

kiwisteve
06-10-2012, 07:17 AM
You should have no problems. When the inital tests were done in Auckland , Waiatarua and Pine Hill were run on the same frequency and tests were done all over the city .
Proved to be very rugged . Much better than analogue in that respect .

satboy
09-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I would not expect it to be on Freeview Web site , apparently they have their own transmitter on ch27
just like Mainland TV in Nelson have their own UHF Multiplex

Apparently TVHB are paying Freeview to have their channel on their guide but still use their own frequency. As they want certified boxes (which includes most DVB-T receivers in NZ) to have a guide. This would not have been a problem if TVNZ hadn't imposed the use of the guide button to being for their expensive MHEG-5 guide app. As anyone tuning to a non-freeview frequency (such as VoiceTV or Mainland) on a certified device will notice the guide button will not do any thing.

wiilliiss
21-10-2012, 12:34 AM
no hbtv guide apart from in the paper,mind you very few can actually see a picture

Satdishfarmer
21-10-2012, 02:28 AM
This talk of the channel numbers that are set via a non-standard extension to the DVB format brings up the question as to the point of even using such an extension. The only purpose is to either hide channels or control the viewer's channel ordering making it a form of digital dictatorship on certified receivers. The ATSC standard uses "Virtual Channels" to map SID to the more familiar frequency numbering scheme the US uses for VHF/UHF.

In summary channel numbering is only really of use to pay tv operators who have their own locked down boxes.

I guess it probably helps the auto tuning process for less technical viewers so that they end up with the channels in order.

kiwisteve
21-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Tararua TV are talking about Digital around Feb 2013 Will be interesting to see how it goes .
Own transmitter on own present site , but probably paying for the freeview epg

satboy
21-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I guess it probably helps the auto tuning process for less technical viewers so that they end up with the channels in order.

It sucks if you are use to your own channel order. Hence another reason why certified devices suck.

satboy
21-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Tararua TV are talking about Digital around Feb 2013 Will be interesting to see how it goes .
Own transmitter on own present site , but probably paying for the freeview epg

If NZ's MHEG-5 profile didn't re-map the guide button to being it's method of activation then the guide button would just bring up the DVB EIT guide on certified devices and broadcasters could then provide their own guide without any need for going through the freeview process. The MHEG-5 guide should just be a separate channel rather than inline.

Rusty
23-10-2012, 10:05 AM
If NZ's MHEG-5 profile didn't re-map the guide button to being it's method of activation then the guide button would just bring up the DVB EIT guide on certified devices and broadcasters could then provide their own guide without any need for going through the freeview process. The MHEG-5 guide should just be a separate channel rather than inline.

No point moaning about it its here to stay. Dont get me wrong tho as i hate the order they have the channels in....i mean who actually wants prime on 10 and Maori on 5..should be the other way around me thinks.