PDA

View Full Version : Igloo delayed again

kiwisteve
25-07-2012, 05:18 PM
So I bet you’re wondering where IGLOO is and why we’re still ‘coming soon’? The long and short of it is that we were absolutely certain we were going to be in stores and hot hands and lounge-rooms across NZ right about now…we absolutely wouldn’t have said ‘coming soon’ otherwise! And human nature dictates that you, our customers will have a hard time genuinely connecting with us if we hide from the truth. Like most humans, we aren’t perfect and sometimes things don’t go according to plan.
So, we’re genuinely gutted to have to let you know that IGLOO isn’t quite ready for your lounge - just yet. We’ve been running a customer trial and found that the IGLOO box is 95% ready - and that 95% is amazing! And while we were on the cusp of launching next week, that other 5% wouldn’t have let us sleep at night (that’s no exaggeration). We knew that we’d be risking disappointment and promise-breaking by delaying launch, so it was an incredibly tough call to make. But we decided (with frustrated and exhausted heads in hands), that we’d rather do that than give New Zealand a product that was ALMOST up to IGLOO standard…the bottom line is that that we have extremely high expectations, and we’re not willing to launch a product which is not perfect – when with a bit more time it will be.
Thanks for sticking by us, we’re all a bit exhausted and frustrated by the delay, and know you might be too…but we’re running on the excitement of being SO CLOSE to something FANTASTIC, and hope you share our view that what was a tough call for us to make, was the right one. You’ll be the first to know when we have green lit launch and IGLOO is, well to be frank, good enough for you.
Chaz Savage, GM IGLOO – and the team.

paulw
25-07-2012, 07:42 PM
I guess that their close beta trial did not go too well for them to delay it like this. Most companies release the product and then try to fix it like TelstraClear's T-Box that they seem still to being trying to sort out.. At least Igloo is trying to fix it before release..

Satdishfarmer
29-10-2012, 07:57 PM
It's an unacceptable wait for this now. How much money has been wasted now on advertising and setup, and still no sign, no new launch date announced. It's looking a bit grim.

I guess their biggest fears have probably been realised now... No one seems to have noticed or cares.

kiwisteve
29-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Well the transmitters have been on the air for 6 months , perhaps the boxes are still trying to boot up , they are very slow , my laptop on win7 is faster !!:p
One of our local retailers has removed the advertisment video loop that was running . There was a notice up saying will take orders but I see thats gone too !!!

wiilliiss
30-10-2012, 12:11 AM
igloo was probably going to make the most of the last minute rush as hawkes bay went digital so they have to get it right before the next stage of aso

looking at the channel line up would try nat geo,animal planet,bbc knowledge rest of no interest to me and 3 more ch for 25/month,,,no. plenty else to watch here

kiwisteve
30-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Its not very good value for Money , I would only watch NAT GEO , and BBC is FTA on Intelsat 19 anyway . The rest of the channels is very lame .
The PPV sport looks like its going to be expensive too

Rusty
30-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Its not very good value for Money , I would only watch NAT GEO , and BBC is FTA on Intelsat 19 anyway . The rest of the channels is very lame .
The PPV sport looks like its going to be expensive too

Yes its just a lead in device for full Subscription Satellite....Just like they used Prime!!!

kiwisteve
13-11-2012, 05:16 PM

wiilliiss
13-11-2012, 06:55 PM
computer says invalid attatchment

kiwisteve
13-11-2012, 07:06 PM
try now finger touble !

kiwisteve
16-11-2012, 03:30 PM
IGLOO TO UNFREEZE?
Igloo meets on November 19 to decide whether to launch the pay TV platform before Christmas.
The joint venture is 51 per cent controlled by Sky TV and 49 per cent by TVNZ, with the service a mixture of terrestrial UHF, delivering 11 linear channels, and access to broadband movies.
Igloo was originally planned to launch in July but software problems from set-top box manufacturers Pace have led to several delays.
Igloo has missed the strategic point of digital switchover in Hawkes Bay and the West Coast, and there have been concerns that extended delays will undermine the brand.
A source said that some at TVNZ were wary of the initiative after the debacle over TVNZ's investment in TiVo.
It is understood that TVNZ representatives have taken the conservative stance to delay the launch, but Igloo should be on sale by Christmas.

wiilliiss
16-11-2012, 11:07 PM
then soon after probably be lots of igloo boxes on trade me for sfa or binned as people realize what a poor choice

kiwisteve
17-11-2012, 11:56 AM
If you are sports fans its appears to be at this stage better to go for a full sky sub
esp with the new deals where you get a free install , free dish and mount , free sports and movies for 3 months
but I guess have to wait and see ( true pricing of the pay events is known on Igloo )

wiilliiss
17-11-2012, 06:07 PM
whats the box like at recording? if ok see if can watch 1 igloo ch and recording another igloo ch
then see if the recording is still usable 7/10/14 days afterwards

Satdishfarmer
17-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Igloo's melting now it's summer... They better hit the next DSO target in time to pickup some late changers or it's all over.

wiilliiss
18-11-2012, 01:09 AM
is igloo running on only 32uV ? that wouldve been a coloured smowstorm on analogue.

so in april the rest of the south island goes digital with quite large populations chch,dunedin,timaru,nelson,invercargill so thats tens of thousands of households meaning could be an opportunity for igloo down south

kiwisteve
18-11-2012, 08:47 AM
32 dB above 1uV not 32 uV ( very close to 40uV ) so still weak at 74km Non Line of site and antenna that favours band 5
I have around 80m of RG11 quite a bit of loss at UHF but better than RG6
But at the end of the day the SNR MER and BER counts are important .
It pixelates at 18db CNR

kiwisteve
27-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Igloo could still be ready before Christmas, says the discount pay-television service's chief executive, Chaz Savage.
The Sky Television and Television New Zealand joint venture originally hoped to launch its service by the end of June, but that has been twice delayed because of unspecified technical difficulties with its British-supplied set-top boxes.
Though the delay already threatens to eat into holiday season sales, Savage said Igloo was aiming for a pre-Christmas launch.
TVNZ spokeswoman Megan Richards said its faith in the joint venture hadn't been shaken by the delays. "We're as committed now as at the start, and we support Igloo's efforts to present a product to consumers that is more than just 'good'," she said.
Igloo is 51 per cent owned by Sky Television, with TVNZ the junior partner. Igloo set-top boxes will function as Freeview set-top boxes. However, consumers will also be able to buy "channel packs", providing 11 pay-television channels, and order some sports events and movies on-demand.

Satdishfarmer
27-11-2012, 09:26 AM
What I'm looking forward to is better picture quality on those sky channels via the mpeg4 igloo platform. The mpeg2 versions on sky satellite are a bit boxy. Does the picture quality on your test box look ok kiwisteve? I might get one for Xmas if the pictures are reasonable...

kiwisteve
27-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Its looks a bit crisper , plus if you do an A / B comparision between that and standard sky box there are less artefacts around writing .
Bit rate looks like it is similar but Im picking the newer codec is helping . The Box Upscales the SD channels to 1080i or 720p depending how you set the video out on HDMI setup. The component out is SD only even from TV 1 2 3 . If you set the HDMI out to AUTO it upscales SD to 720p and downscales TV 1 2 3 to 720p its a shame that its not a true NATIVE setting ( no scaling )
If I look at BBC World and compare it to the SD from IS 19 its pretty good but the HD of Intelsat 19 is noticeably better
Content Protection is running on Comedy Central , I guess they dont want you recording 40 year old Hogans Heros and Get Smart LOL

Satdishfarmer
27-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Its looks a bit crisper , plus if you do an A / B comparision between that and standard sky box there are less artefacts around writing .
Bit rate looks like it is similar but Im picking the newer codec is helping . The Box Upscales the SD channels to 1080i or 720p depending how you set the video out on HDMI setup. The component out is SD only even from TV 1 2 3 . If you set the HDMI out to AUTO it upscales SD to 720p and downscales TV 1 2 3 to 720p its a shame that its not a true NATIVE setting ( no scaling )
If I look at BBC World and compare it to the SD from IS 19 its pretty good but the HD of Intelsat 19 is noticeably better
Content Protection is running on Comedy Central , I guess they dont want you recording 40 year old Hogans Heros and Get Smart LOL

Cheers for that. I will give one a go as soon as I can buy it. Have they chosen a retailer yet?

kiwisteve
27-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm not really sure about retailers but I did do an ask last week I went to the techsperts and they said ( a what box ) !!
I went to Noel and they said on the Stock Computer , but no stock . I went to %100 and got a blank look .
Not asked Harvey !!

Satdishfarmer
27-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Heard it might be Noel Bonds somewhere... Hope they are still aiming at around the 200 mark.

kiwisteve
27-11-2012, 10:27 AM
5 cents less !!

paulw
27-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Most likely $199.99

kiwisteve
29-11-2012, 09:59 AM
I see on Geekzone that Igloo is launching on Monday 3rd Dec
I do not see anything official on Igloo Site !!

Satdishfarmer
29-11-2012, 11:53 AM
That's great news. Hope the boxes end up in the shops on Monday- i wonder if they'll make up for the delay with a few free months for the pay channels? Must be some new ads coming on tv soon too??

kiwisteve
29-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Just checked , nothing locally no advertisements and staff know nothing and def no stock
not seen anything in the media either , just the one comment on geekzone

The Pay Per View on Rugby Test is not cheap either !!

Satdishfarmer
29-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Just checked , nothing locally no advertisements and staff know nothing and def no stock
not seen anything in the media either , just the one comment on geekzone

The Pay Per View on Rugby Test is not cheap either !!

They have them hiding in the back in the NL shop up here. There's a huge display stand that they can't show until Monday.

Only problem now is the lack of hdmi's on my tv... Where will I put the igloo box.

kiwisteve
29-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I know the feeling all my HDMI Component SVHS and Composite full all thats left is the Sony Media interface and I hav enothing that fits that
. Somwhere I saw a HDMI remote controlled 4 way switch advertised

kiwisteve
29-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Doesnt seem long since the close of the old UHF analogue service !!
any now they are back on UHF !!
Found this on the HDD recorder I must have recorded it at the very end !! lol

kiwisteve
03-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Well got the offical email to say they have launched .
But I dont think I will be in any hurry to buy a box !!
will keep the test one as long as I can !! lol

Satdishfarmer
04-12-2012, 12:23 AM
I got the email too. Got a box to check it out. MPEG4 looks better than the MPEG2 on sky satellite on those sky channels. Don't think I'll subscribe to it though long term. Jut try it for a month or two.

kiwisteve
04-12-2012, 05:46 AM
In the POWER settings is yours going into STANDBY mode even with setting set to NEVER ??
the test box does this which is very annoying esp when the HDD recorder is set to record over night

Satdishfarmer
04-12-2012, 07:39 AM
In the POWER settings is yours going into STANDBY mode even with setting set to NEVER ??
the test box does this which is very annoying esp when the HDD recorder is set to record over night

Yes, they haven't fixed that, exactly what mine did last night. I set it to Never and it still shut down. What else can I expect?

kiwisteve
04-12-2012, 09:24 AM
The other annoying thing is if the mains power stops , even briefly , the box comes back up on the MENU and seems to get stuck there , very annoying
if you have set the timer on HDD recorder . It now on the main UPS so that issue should be eliminated.

wiilliiss
11-12-2012, 11:32 PM
any registration needed for the service?

Satdishfarmer
12-12-2012, 01:23 AM
any registration needed for the service?

Yes, but not too tough. Wanted an email address and name then you make up a pin number to use for booking and buying content on the box over wifi or LAN and can also be used on the Internet login from a computer to manage account stuff.

If you need to pay after the first 30 day free trial ends, you can do credit card payment over the phone, or via the box, or via computer. Pretty easy.

Have had a few emails from igloo already. The welcome email and a "how to enjoy it more" one. Still haven't tried the ppv movies or sport for quality... Must try that soon.