PDA

View Full Version : Sugarloaf Frequency Change

kiwisteve
23-07-2012, 10:33 AM
From the RSM Website

Freeview viewers may need to retune their TV or set-top box when the broadcast frequencies change in the Christchurch region on Tuesday 24 July.
The changes only affect Freeview terrestrial viewers who receive signals from the Sugarloaf transmitter. They will not affect Sky subscribers, analogue TV viewers, TelstraClear cable TV or Freeview satellite TV viewers.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Radio Spectrum Policy and Planning Manager Len Starling said: “Affected viewers will see a message pop up on their TV screens this week, prompting them to retune when the frequencies change. Retuning can be done simply using the remote control.”
“Those who watch Freeview TV and share an aerial with others, such as in an apartment building or retirement village, should contact their property manager for advice on whether their installation requires any modification.”
Managers of apartments, hotels or motels are advised to talk to an installer prior to the frequencies being changed, to see if any technical adjustments are needed.
The channel frequencies are changing to ensure that New Zealand’s radio spectrum is freed up for other uses and emerging technologies.

satboy
23-07-2012, 01:14 PM
From the RSM Website
The channel frequencies are changing to ensure that New Zealand’s radio spectrum is freed up for other uses and emerging technologies.

I assume this would have something to do with Igloo's coverage. IMHO, our spectrum management on VHF and UHF has been a mess since the pre-kordia BCL days.

vegas4
23-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Nothing to do with Igloo - they've been restacking most of the Frequencies across the country, which wasn't possible until after SKY turned off their UHF channels (those typically used for Sport & Movies).
Sugarloaf is the last one.

Spectrum plan is effectively:
Ch 26/27 - Local/Regional Opearators
Ch 28/29 - TBA
Ch 30/31 - SKY (Igloo at present)
Ch 32/33 - TVWorks
Ch 34/35 - TVNZ (45 South in Oamaru use this, probably as 26/27 will be used for Rural Broadband there
Ch 36/37 - Kordia/JDA
Ch 38/39 - TBA
Ch 40/41 - TBA
Ch 42/43 - TBA
Ch 44/45 - TBA

Of the TBA's most of those will probably go to SKY (including 1 for Prime), one will probably be used for Maori Broadcasting, and the NZRB (Horsies) may possible get one too.

Fingers crossed the restacking goes all well tonight!

satboy
23-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Spectrum plan is effectively:
Ch 26/27 - Local/Regional Opearators
Ch 28/29 - TBA
Ch 30/31 - SKY (Igloo at present)
Ch 32/33 - TVWorks
Ch 34/35 - TVNZ (45 South in Oamaru use this, probably as 26/27 will be used for Rural Broadband there
Ch 36/37 - Kordia/JDA
Ch 38/39 - TBA
Ch 40/41 - TBA
Ch 42/43 - TBA
Ch 44/45 - TBA

Of the TBA's most of those will probably go to SKY (including 1 for Prime), one will probably be used for Maori Broadcasting, and the NZRB (Horsies) may possible get one too.

What do those channels refer to as the ITU channel numbers for digital seem to be between 25 and 51 for all transports. Also with the DSO what's the fate of AmateurTV which is has been off air for a while now and other analogue broadcasters that can't afford the Freeview tax?

kiwisteve
23-07-2012, 02:12 PM
will probably depend on the Management rights

Restacking - GOOD Luck - for many of us from Wharite ( Manawatu ) it was a disaster , lower signals and more fading than before !!
and worse layering effects than before

kiwisteve
23-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Amateur TV on Commercial UHF freq is doomed in the digital world ( no more ch39 after ASO ) best hope is 1200 meg 23cm band , there was a suggestion of low band digital for amateurs but highly unlikely I would say

satboy
23-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Amateur TV on Commercial UHF freq is doomed in the digital world ( no more ch39 after ASO ) best hope is 1200 meg 23cm band , there was a suggestion of low band digital for amateurs but highly unlikely I would say

The same is true of non-commercial broadcasters. Why are there no more free digital licenses for non-profits? Also Amateur TV helped with learning from being able to actually do something on freely shared channel space.

kiwisteve
23-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I suspect the RSM want some real money from digital licences , not give it away to amateurs and non profit low budget broadcasters.
We only got CH 39 after juggling the old 610 to 620 allocation , as it was adjacent to the old radar band many years ago and there was no uhf tv at the time .

satboy
23-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I suspect the RSM want some real money from digital licences ,

Making real money? The RSM is part of a government ministry. Governments are NOT there to make money. They're elected to manage the country for the good of the people living in it. And I would think they make enough money from the commercial users that pump out expensive ratings based programming and ads.

kiwisteve
23-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Of course they want to make money !! why do you think they set up those multi million spectrum auctions ??

vegas4
24-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Well, no probs for me this morning... Signal Strength & Quality about the same on all three Muxes as before.

kiwisteve
25-07-2012, 05:19 PM
any reports from the fringe areas yet ??